Monday, December 29, 2008

Where did the time go?

All of a sudden it is almost 2009. Another year gone by. The past few months have been a whirlwind in the Collins house. The holidays seemed to suck up all of November and December. Emma turned 4 November 20th, there was Thanksgiving where Ellie broke her arm, and all of December was spent doing Christmas activities. I am so spent on Christmas. I am so sick of it that I took my tree down and all decorations yesterday. The only sign of Christmas is all the extra toys cluttering my house. I did get some really nice presents. My mom bought all of my wish list items on skirtsports.com (at one point everything on that website was 60% off so I got a lot more than I normally would have). From my inlaws I got the garmin forerunner 305. I am ready to try it except there is a layer of ice on just about every outside surface around my house.

So, I am all set up for my New Year's resolutions. I want to make 2009 a year of positive change. I still have about 20 pounds to lose before I am at pre-baby weight (keep in mind my "babies" are 4 and almost 3). I got some great tips from Marni Rakes and have been using them on and off. I wish I had more will power over the holidays, but at least I did not gain anything over the last few months!! Rather than focus on weight loss, my resolution is going to focus on a healthier me - more fruits, more veggies, more lean meats. Along with that is working out. With all that has happened with the stock market, trying to save for a down payment on a house, paying over $400 a week for daycare starting in a week, a broken windshield, and a medical bill for a little girl's broken arm there is no room to pay a coach. So, I am going on my own. I am not sure how much I will race this summer (I love training so much more), but I will still do IM.

That brings me to my next point. Resolutions are too long in nature which is why people cannot keep them. So, I have decided to make month resolutions. They may be the same as the prior month, but I think the evaluation is needed.

For the next month I am going to see how I handle training, a new job and my family. When I wasn't working I did not worry if I was gone at night because I saw my kids all day. Luckily I am only working 32 hours a week so if I play my cards right I will not be missing that much time with them.

Here is the plan for January:
1. Healthier eating - get back on Marni's plan.
2. Train how I want to train. I am not feeling the love for triathlon right now. I love spinning, but have no desire to get on my bike. I love the tempos runs I have been doing. I am not loving the swimming. So, my plan is swim very little and replace that with some high intensity weight training. I will not worry about "missing" a workout. I want triathlon to be something fun and something positive to show my girls. I wish I had the competitive spirit on me right now, but stressing out about is the worst thing I can do.
3. Make the time I now have with my kids and husband quality time.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

see if you can find a club that uses the RealRyder, because you will love it1

sean


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdErmg6syHw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL1bLk7XYYU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erzzpuj1Reo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD3A-A_Dwas
www.realryder.com

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

Great post! Sorry about the accident with your daughter! She looks like she is a tough one :)
let me know if you ever need anything. Always here to help!
-marn

juliemac said...

sounds like a good plan for 2009!!
look forward to seeing you swimming at the lake again!! man- that seems like forever but you know it will be here before we know it!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

GOOD for you sara! Life sometimes goes is tough cycles, sounds like things are busy for you...but your goals are super and the food/nutrition part with MR will be good! GOOD luck back to work and all the balancing!