Tuesday, June 24, 2008

5 Hour Bike Ride

This weekend I had my first really long bike. I biked 91 miles in 5hours. My longest ride before that was on 3 hr 30min. I rode up north on the Paul Bunyan Trail, which is extremely hilly in some parts. I had to make a pit stop in the woods because there was not a bathroom or port-a-potty in sight. All I kept thinking about was how there are bears, wolves, and other scary animals up there lingering in the woods. The whole trail is surrounded by huge forests. On the bright side, I was one of the faster riders out there so I figured the bears would go after the slower people first! I felt like my nutrition was about right, but could have used one more water bottle. I also did an open swim up there. While I was swimming Mike and the girls were in the row boat. The water was a bit choppy, but there were no weeds and the lake is super clean.

My IM is now less than 11 weeks away. After the 5 hour bike on Saturday, I started getting worried that I may not finish the race. Two months ago I thought I had a chance at qualifying for Hawaii, now I just want to finish. I figure the swim will take a little over an hour. I am hoping the bike is around 6 and a half hours. That puts me at about 7hrs 30 min. I am thinking the run will take over 6 hours. At least on the run I will be able to walk if needed!

My next race is Sunday in Waconia. It is a little shorter than Buffalo with a 1/2 mile swim, 25 mile bike and 4 mile run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.