Monday, June 2, 2008

The Hills of Buffallo


On Sunday, June 1st I did my first triathlon in about 5 years. The race did not start until about 9am, which is late for triathlon, so I got to sleep in a little bit. The water temperature was a cool 66 degrees, but felt pretty nice with a wetsuit. The swim was .9 miles and I did that in 22 minutes 29 seconds. It was the 4 best female finish. The transition went OK. I took a little longer so I could hydrate, which I will probably never do again. I did the 24.8 mile bile in 1 hour 13 minutes, just under 20 miles an hour. The bike was filled with a few large hills and many, many more little hills. Every time I got to the top of one hill it seemed like I could see another. Once I got done with my bike, I realized I had not prepared well enough for it. I am definitely adding more hills to my workouts! My run went really poor. I ended up walking for about 10 minutes of it, but still finished the 6.2 miles in 58 minutes. The run was one big hill going up and down hill coming back. By the time I hit the down hill I was so tired that I don't think it mattered. My total time, with transitions, was 2 hours 40 minutes. I placed 14 of 39 in the 30-39 female age group. If I would have done 8 minute miles, I would have probably placed in the top 5.

Lessons learned:
1. Ride the bike course beforehand so you can prepared yourself for hills.
2. Practice, practice, and practice transitions.
3. Make sure hills are part of your workout.


Next triathlon: June 29th at Lake Waconia.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: