Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Putting things in Perspective

I spent a good week being upset with myself about my performance at Buffalo. Then I remembered how long I have really been training for. I have been with my coach for only 2 months and been working out consistently for only 3 months. My last triathlon was 5 years ago. I was in super shape, a workout fanatic. During the year before that last race, I was working out at least 2 hours a day doing something. I did only train about 3 months doing sports specific workouts, but still I was in awesome shape. Two pregnancies and another 5 years to my age later, I am back at it. I am happy that I am, but discouraged that I am not bouncing back as fast as I thought I would.

My goal for this tri-season is to get faster with each race and be in good enough shape for IM WI. I am training with a lot of great and fast triathletes. I don't always realize it because my swimming is at a higher level than most. However, looking at times and hearing that they are racing in the elite division and professional division as far as my coach is concerned, I realize I have a long way to go. These people have been racing for a long time and most of them without kids. I am not going to use my kids as an excuse for not doing as well, but I also do not have the time to dedicate as some people do.

I have a 4.5 hour brick on Saturday and a 5 hour ride next Saturday. It is hard in the summer to be away from family for so long knowing they are doing something fun outside. I guess there is no more sleeping in on the weekends now either!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you did really well for your first triathlon back - I am sure there are people who have trained longer and competed more often than you who would have loved to do that well. Savanna and I look forward to watching you in Madison for the Iron Man (Brian will be in Vegas for a bachelor party, otherwise he would be there too).